[CentOS] Changing the centos name on boot

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 2 17:57:01 UTC 2015

On Mon, November 2, 2015 11:43 am, Mike - st257 wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 7:40 AM, Ramaseshan S <ramaseshan at fractalio.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have been playing around with customizing the centos to create a spin
>> for
>> my workplace.
>> I am using centos 6.6 minimal, and trying to change the centos name to
>> some
>> random string.
>> I have been able to change the name in the grub using grub.conf, but the
>> name while the system is booting, I am not able to find a reference to
>> that.
>> Can somebody help me with that ?
>>

> This can be found via a search engine.
> http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/centos-hostname-change

This way one changes hostname reported by

hostname

command (which usually though not necessarily is what the machine is
registered on network with). My impression was the OP (original poster)
wishes the system claim to be different from (CentOS) as he makes hist own
tweaked distribution disk (or whatever the reason is). This last (CentOS,
RedHat Enterprise, Debian,...) appears in many places, GRUB configuration
file, splash screen image to name some.

Valeri

>> Attached screenshot.
>>
>> Anyhelp with what to search for or some blogs and direct answers would
>> help
>> :-)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers