[CentOS] CentOS7 and "ip link alias"

Mike - st257

silvertip257 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 19:40:57 UTC 2015

Hello List,

After demystifying the cause for my /sbin/ifup-local not being executed by
network scripts for an Ethernet interface (don't let NetworkManager control
it or ifup-local won't be executed)...

... I have a question with hopefully a simple answer:
I placed an alias/description on my interface during testing and now I want
to remove it.
But when I try to remove it, I'm either trying to do something _actually_
not supported or I don't have the proper syntax to accomplish what I want.

~]# ip link set dev eno1 alias "hit"

~]# ip link show eno1
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode
DEFAULT qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:22:19:1e:a2:5b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    alias hit

~]# ip link delete dev eno1 alias "hit"
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

Thoughts?
It's mildly annoying at most.

--
Mike