[CentOS] Centos 7, ATI card, 30" monitor

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Nov 3 16:57:54 UTC 2015

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 11/3/2015 8:11 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 11/3/2015 7:33 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Well, I got my user back to being able to use his system, but I've
>>> still got one issue: it's running on the VESA driver - there is
>>> *no* Catalyst build for this monitor, for CentOS 7. From a lot of
>>> googling, nothing's been done since the summer of '14 (lspci
>>> reports it as a FirePro V3900).
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, or pointers, as to if/how I can get X - he's running KDE
>>> - to see the full width of the monitor, not just about 4" less, or is
>>> that not possible with the VESA driver?
>>
>> did you try these?
>> http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86
>
> oops, I meant, this link
> http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation?os=Linux+x86_64#catalyst-pro

Yes, to start with. It gags - that's what I posted recently, that the only
font is almost 100% unreadable, and I can't get the controls to do
anything. And, you'll note, that's from last year. And if you go to the
main link, that you posted, and try to "find your card", and put in the
card info, what happens when you hit "search" is that the topmost dropdown
box is back to "choose", meaning they don't have one. Btw, I spoke to Dell
- this box is theirs, but of course the people supporting workstations
*still* don't have a clue about Linux, unlike the server people, and they
couldn't find a recent driver, either.

I *really* dislike ATI/AMD video. At least with NVidia, the proprietary
driver builder *always* works, once you've got the right one, whatever
folks bitch and moan about it.

     mark