[CentOS] Centos 7, ATI card, 30" monitor

Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane todd.denniston at navy.mil
Wed Nov 4 21:24:21 UTC 2015

<SNIP>
> Btw, I spoke to Dell
> - this box is theirs, but of course the people supporting workstations
> *still* don't have a clue about Linux, unlike the server people, and they
> couldn't find a recent driver, either.
>
> I *really* dislike ATI/AMD video. At least with NVidia, the proprietary
> driver builder *always* works, once you've got the right one, whatever
> folks bitch and moan about it.
>
>      mark

Have you considered using the elrepo packaged version, or at least reading their pages to see which chips are
still supported by the proprietary driver?
For me their (elrepo) packages seem the sanest way to manage an EL system with either nvidia or ati/amd proprietary driver.
Also there are some notes on this page relating to a change in X protocol on EL 6 which caused some grief there,
perhaps EL 7 has that same change and thus you may be in the list of " older chipsets".
At least by reading the pages you might be able to quicker come to the conclusion that the proprietary driver will
no longer work for you?
http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-fglrx
http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-fglrx-legacy

Even when this disclaimer is not here:
I am not a contracting officer. I do not have authority to make or modify the terms of any contract.