[CentOS] c++ Development question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Nov 6 18:25:15 UTC 2015

Leandro wrote:
> Hello Centos user.
> Im learning about c/c++ , so far every thing works great.
> The problem begins when I try to install a new library or a third party
> api.
> For example now I need to install the jsoncpp implementation in my
> centos box but I have no idea how to do it.
> I realized that my knolowge about those things is very poor.
> I would like to ask you for some documentation about libraries
> directories layout regarding  c/c++ programing.
> Im not interested in the languaje it self but how to prepare my server
> to succesfully compile c/c++ programas.

Read the manpage on yum to start.

Do you have gcc++ installed? If not, yum install "Development tools"
(assuming you're running CentOS 7; if you're on 6, it's yum groupinstall

I suppose, if you really, *really* need a 2GB text editor, you could
install eclipse.

Then, understand that any package *should* install in the correct place.
For some oddities, you might have to set the environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Finally, to see what libraries or compiler tools are available, yum list
lib\*, etc.

Also, check to see if you have rpmfusion and epel repos enabled.

      mark