[CentOS] safest way to grow a LV under VMware ESXi5.5

Mike - st257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 00:42:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it make any difference whether to use full disk device for your LV
> (i.e., /dev/sdc or some such) or make a partition instead (say, /dev/sdc1
> covering the whole disk end to end)? I mean, are there any pro's and con's
> to using either as extra space for the logical group?

Just like with software RAID (using mdadm), you can create partitions or
use the raw disk.

In the past I've been of the thought that a block device having partitions
is a good idea in terms of something visible denoting the use of the
device. But that may not be necessary in all situations.

Might check out the warnings and opinions at the following URLs to make
your decision. [ Opinions advise to create a partition and not to put LVM
on a raw disk. ]

[0] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/initdisks.html
[1]
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/76588/what-is-the-best-practice-for-adding-disks-in-lvm