[CentOS] Rsync and differential Backups

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 19:41:38 UTC 2015

On 11/09/2015 11:34 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> I wonder how filesystem behaves when almost every file has some 400 hard
> links to it. (thinking in terms of a year worth of daily backups).

Why do you think that would be a problem?

Most inodes have one hard link.  When that link is removed, the link
count in the inode is decremented (inodes are reference-counted, you can
see their ref count in "ls -l" output).  When the link count reaches 0
and no open file descriptors exist, the inode is removed.

Creating more hard links just increases the ref count.  That's it. It's
not a weird special case.