[CentOS] OT: bacula question

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Nov 10 21:11:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Nov 2015, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>>
>>> Question, for those that use/have used bacula: I've been setting up
>>> backups for one team, the server on CentOS 6, but they're on
>>> Windows. If we install the director on Windows, is it possible for
>>> the users to restore files from the server to their own machine?
>>
>> Please check that I'm getting this right.
>>
>> * You've got the director running on a CentOS machine.
>> * You've got file daemons running on Windows machines.
>> * You want to restore files from CentOS director to Windows clients.
>>
>> Is that right? If so, you can restore from the director on CentOS to
>> the file daemons on Windows without further ado.
>
> 'Friad not. My users are saying they'd like the ability, from their
> Windows machines, to restore, without having to ask me to do
> something from the server. And they want to be able to chose the
> files to restore....

My first thought is, give them a shared filesystem with snapshots so
that's not necessary. :-)

My second thought is that Bacula has restricted consoles:

http://www.bacula.org/7.0.x-manuals/en/main/Console_Configuration.html

By default, a restricted console has no privileges at all, so you can
give only the access it needs. I've never done such things, however,
so I can't vouch for its operation.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com