[CentOS] Rsync and differential Backups

Mark Milhollan mlm at pixelgate.net
Sat Nov 14 17:01:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015, Gordon Messmer wrote:

>Breaking a RAID volume doesn't make filesystems consistent,

While using LVM arranges for some filesystems to be consistent (it is
not always possible), it does nothing to ensure application consistency
which can be just as important.  Linux doesn't have a widely deployed
analog to Windows' VSS, which provides both though only for those that
cooperate.  On Linux you must arrange to quiesce applications yourself,
which is seldom possible.

>Breaking the
>RAID will duplicate UUIDs of filesystems and the name of volume groups.

Making an LVM snapshot duplicates UUIDs (and LABELs) too, the whole LV
is the same in the snapshot as it was in the source.  There are ways to
cope with that for XFS (I usually use mount -ro nouuid) -- ext2/3/4
doesn't care (so just mount -r for them).  If the original filesystem
isn't yet mounted then a mount by uuid (or label) would not be pretty
for either.  And that's just two filesystems, others are supported and
they too will potentially have issues.

/mark