[CentOS] Poor perfmance of bridged interfaces

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 19:43:07 UTC 2015

On 11/14/2015 09:20 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> I'd want to connect a VM to another VM (or eventually to the host) via the
> "Linux bridge" so that I can demonstrate that capability in a classroom
> with only one laptop.

You don't actually need to attach *any* ethernet interfaces to do that.
If you create a bridge with no Ethernet slaves, and then create two VMs,
those VMs will get virtual network interfaces that will then be slaved
to the bridge.  So, you'll see the bridge with two network devices as
slaves, and those network devices will be attached to the two VMs.

If you create a bridge device with one Ethernet interface attached, then
you'll end up with a bridge that spans two VMs and the Ethernet
interface.  That way the VMs will be connected to each other and to the
Ethernet network.