[CentOS] OT: Replacing Venerable NAS

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Wed Nov 18 18:05:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:38:06 -0500
Tim Evans wrote:

> Sorry, should've mentioned this is for home/home office. The ReadyNAS is
> a four-bay unit, with 500GB disks.  Will want a four-bay, probably with
> 1- or 2-TB disks.

I just bought a QNAP TS-251 a couple of months ago to replace my old  Intel SS4000E fileserver that started looking like it was thinking about dying after a dozen years in service.

So far I'm pretty happy with this QNAP, though I did have to spend a while in the setup screen turning off a bunch of stuff that I don't need, want, or care about.  In particular, it was creating a ton of . at _thumb files every night.  Since I use it exclusively for  file backups, I don't want any of the "multimedia" stuff that it can do, but now that I've got all of that turned off, it's a slick little fileserver.

The one that I got is only two bays but they sell bigger ones if you want it.  I just got the two bay model with two 1tb hard drives in it.