[CentOS] C7: How to configure raid at install time

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Nov 25 03:35:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 09:49:43PM -0700, Devin Reade wrote:
> --On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 11:07:12 PM -0500 Fred Smith
> <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
> >But it isn't at all obvious how one would do a new RAID1 setup in
> >Anaconda
>
> Don't feel bad.  The abortion that is the RHEL/CentOS 7 graphical
> install interface is far too dumbed-down to be easily usable by anyone
> that understands what is going on under the covers.  Oh, the irony.
>
> >Can anyone provide (or give pointers to) a good recipe for doing this?
>
> A quick google brought up the following link that (looking just at the
> disk portion) appears to be mostly correct, and should give you the
> magic incantation:
>
> <http://www.ictdude.com/howto/install-centos-7-software-raid-lvm/>

I've been building C7 VMs with RAID-1 in Virtualbox these last couple
of days, to pin down exactly how to do it. based on the link above,
but I'm making "real" partitions instead of LVM.

The current iteration seems to be running fine, but I had an odd problem
when configuring the partitions: for two 10 gig virtual drives, it wouldn't
let me use the last gig of space. or maybe it has some other issue on the
max partition size,... it seemed to max out at around 9900 MB. This for
sure won't do when I build it on real hardware, so I'm wondering if
anyone else here has a clue what's going on??

thanks in advance!

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."