[CentOS] how do I download pictures from a dumb phone?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Nov 29 18:09:41 UTC 2015

Inserting anything other than a USB cable into the phone seems to be a no-go.
There is one slightly wider and thinner recess,
but no metal is in it.
It looks like a slightly less dumb model would use
the same outer case and a somewhat different inner case.

>From lsusb:
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 04e8:6640 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Usb Modem Enumerator

[root at localhost ~]# file  /dev/bus/usb/002/007
/dev/bus/usb/002/007: character special

I found my Service Guide.  My phone is a Samsung Gusto 2.
A link near http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/gusto-2/#Camera,%20Photos%20&%20Videos
tells me that Samsung Gusto SCH-u360's,
among others,
do not support picture transfer.

Anyone know better?

Anyone know for sure whether bitpim would work if I could make it go?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2015, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> How do I download pictures from a dumb phone?
>>
>> I have a Samsung phone I bought at a Walmart.
>> According the the front, it worships Verizon.
>> Beyond that, I'm not at all sure what kind.
>
> As I should have mentioned earlier:
> If there is a way to install software on this phone,
> I do not know it.
>
>> If I use a real USB connector to connect it to my PC,
>> CentOS sees it as a character special device.
>> What, if anything, I can do with that device, I do not know.
>> I've not found any settings related to USB.
>>
>> In case it helps, from menu->settings->phone info:
>> S/W V. U365.GG01
>> H/W V. U365.04

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards