[CentOS] Installing mSATA Solid State Drive in Dell Precision M3800

Tue Nov 3 03:58:15 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 11/2/2015 7:49 PM, ken wrote:
> I'm considering getting a Dell Precision M3800 Mobile Workstation,
> would want to install my own mSATA SSD in it.  Does anyone here have
> one of these machines?  If so, is an SSD a user-installable
> component?  And if so again, how much needs to be taken apart?

I'm guessing that uses full 2.5" SATA drives, not mSATA cards..... ah,
here's the service manual
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-m3800-workstation_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Looks like it has both mSATA and 2.5" SATA bays.  to install a mSATA
card, you remove the base cover (the bottom), remove a cable, and remove
a screw holding the mSATA in place, then reverse all that to reassemble.

me, I'd just replace the hard disk with a 500G-1T SSD and shine the
whole mSATA thing..