[CentOS] Two WiFi routers

Thu Nov 5 16:17:43 UTC 2015
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 11/5/2015 7:22 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
>> As a point of clarification: The setup that you're describing isn't
>> multiple WiFi routers, it's multiple WiFi Access Points.
> Thanks for your response, and for all the others.
> I am indeed using the two routers as Access Points,
> turning off dhcp on them, etc.
>
> I did actually try what has been suggested,
> but it didn't seem to work,
> which made me wonder if it was possible in principle.

It is possible.  I have this setup running both at home and at the office.

> However, I almost certainly made some mistake setting up
> the second router/AP, which is actually an ancient Netopia router
> from my ISP, whose manual says it can be used as an AP.
> I see it with "arp -a" on my server,
> but I've now noticed I don't see it on my Android phone,
> or with "iwlist scan" on my laptop.
>
> Apologies, I don't think this router/AP is working ...

In order for devices to be able to seamlessly switch between access
points, they must have the EXACT same wifi security setup (SSID,
security method, and password).  I had a problem with this at work
trying to use an old router that would not do WPA2.

It can be confusing to figure out exactly which access point you are
using when the SSID's are all the same.  The Wifi Analyzer app will give
you the mac address of the router so you can be sure you're using the
one you think you are.  It's a free app, so give it a try.  I've found
it to be very useful for dealing with wifi routers and access points.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

--
Bowie