[CentOS] getting a CentOS6 VM on VMware ESXi platform to recognize a new disk device

Fri Nov 6 14:56:54 UTC 2015
Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com>

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Tris Hoar <trishoar at bgfl.org> wrote:

> On 04/11/2015 20:59, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> On 11/4/2015 12:52 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:
>>
>>> I don't get this for some reason... not even sure why. ESXi's default
>>> behaviour seems to be to allow hotplug, that does not seem to be
>>> deactivated. I am just not sure. Wonder if this could be the Centos 7
>>> vs 6
>>> - perhaps that is what I ought to test for.
>>>

>> what virtual SCSI controller type are you using for these VM's? Mine are
>> 'paravirtual'.
>>

> Also, what guest OS and VM hardware version is the guest running as?
>
> Tris

> and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
> postmaster at bgfl.org
>
> The views expressed within this email are those of the individual, and not
> necessarily those of the organisation

Tris, John,

Thanks!

I blew away the original VM I was using for testing as it came time to do
the things for real in production - and, as much as I hated it, I just
added the disk and rebooted the production machine to make it "see" that
disk.

However, I have then decided to investigate the matter further. So I
created a new one. It is  running on an ESXi 5.5 server, VM Version 10,
VMware Paravirtual SCSI controller, configured for RedHat 6/64-bit OS,
running Centos 6/64 bit. And it worked perfectly when it came to "seeing" a
hotplugged disk drive.

So I am not sure what to make of all of it - but it looks like freshly
created VM's are OK and it was indeed something to do with the VM settings.

Cheers,

Boris.