[CentOS] OT: bacula question

Tue Nov 10 21:36:32 UTC 2015
Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org>

--On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 02:14:56 PM -0500 m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> 'Friad not. My users are saying they'd like the ability, from their
> Windows machines, to restore, without having to ask me to do something
> from the server. And they want to be able to chose the files to
> restore....

As Paul alludes, it's not access to the director that matters.  The
pieces in play are:

  - storage daemon (has the backups)
  - director (has the index / database)
  - file daemons (running on each machine that is being backed up)
  - control and monitoring consoles.  (bconsole, bat, tray monitor, etc)

The thing that they need to use directly is a console.  The console
talks to the director which orchestrates the storage daemon and the
file daemons to backup from or restore to the client in question.

So now the question is what console would be suitable to them.

bconsole is a command-line console; I've only used it from UNIX systems,
I don't know if it works from Windows.

bat is a native GUI, so UNIX only.

I don't know of a Windows-based console, but I don't typically deal
with Windows machines, so I'm not saying there isn't one.  If there is,
I suspect that it is bundled with the Windows file daemon.

I suspect your best bet is a web-based console.  There are at least
three: bacula-web <http://www.bacula-web.org/>, bweb, and a webmin
module.  I don't know if you can restrict users so that they can
affect only their local machines; you'll need to do some research
on that one.

(I will usually use bconsole or bat.)

Devin