[CentOS] Rsync and differential Backups

Wed Nov 11 00:23:23 UTC 2015
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On Monday, November 09, 2015 09:50:52 AM Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > How I can perform a diff backup?
>
> Save yourself a lot of trouble and use a front-end like rsnapshot or
> backuppc.

If I may, I'd like to put in a plug for ZFS:

Combining rsync and ZFS, you can rsync, then make a ZFS snapshot, which gives
you the best of both worlds:

1) No messy filesystem with multiple directories full of hardlinks to manage.
2) Immutable backups.
3) Crazy efficient storage space, including built-in compression. Much more
efficient than rsync + hard links.
4) Ability to send the entire filesystem (binary perfect) to another system.
5) Ability to upgrade and add storage space without taking it offline.
6) Ability to "restore" a snapshot to read/write status in seconds with a
clone that you can throw away later just as easily.
7) Or you can skip rsync, do the snapshots on the source server, and replicate
the snapshots with send/receive.
8) Uses inexpensive, commodity hardware.

... and on and on....

We've moved *all* our backups to ZFS, the benefits are just too many. I'd like
to plug BTRFS in a similar vein, but it's "not yet production ready" and it's
been that way for a long, long time...

Ben S