[CentOS] Running Fedora under CentOS via systemd-nspawn?

Wed Nov 18 19:25:41 UTC 2015
Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com>

I actually built HandBrake 0.10.2 (the latest) under C7 (using a
CentOS 7 nspawn container so as not to pollute the main system with
the dozens of deps I installed).  Full details here if you're
interested:

    http://raw-sewage.net/articles/fedora-under-centos/

The problem with the newer version of HandBrake is that it requires (a
very recent version of) gtk3, which in turn has several other deps
that need to be upgraded on C7.  But I worked through all that, and
can provide all the spec files if anyone wants.

Anyway, the HandBrake problem is solved for me (in possibly multiple ways).

But I'm just fascinated by the possibilities of nspawn, and wondering
how far one can take it before instabilities are introduced.

Consider how many people out there have similar problems as me: want
to run CentOS for stability/reliability/vendor support, but also want
some bleeding-edge software that's only available on Fedora (or Ubuntu
or Arch).  If it's "safe" to run these foreign distributions under
CentOS via nspawn, then I think that's a simple solution.  Virtual
Machines are of course a possible solution, but they seem overkill for
this class of problem.  And not to mention. possibly
inefficient---something like HandBrake should benefit from running on
bare metal, rather than under a virtualized CPU.