[CentOS] OT: Replacing Venerable NAS

Wed Nov 18 21:42:38 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 11/18/2015 1:25 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> My point is that unreliable NAS/RAID systems*require*  this dual redundancy, whereas a reliable system only needs normal backups, that being the sort where you rarely go back and pull more than a few files at a time.

well, at the sub $1000 price point of the typical SOHO NAS box, you're
not going to find high 'reliable' systems, with redundant power
supplies, dual storage controllers, and everything else that goes along
with 'high availability'.    even my fairly well built $7000-ish 2U
servers in my development lab, if the motherboard or a CPU chip fails?
they are offline until repaired, if they were mission critical, I'd need
pairs of everything..   if a network switch fails?  yeah, I didn't
implement fully redundant multipath networking either.

the /really/ hard one when rolling your own highly redundant systems
with high data integrity needed for things like transactional database
servers, is implementing redundant storage controllers with shared
writeback cache...   you pretty much have to get into EMC class hardware
for this level of reliability with data integrity and performance.   and
thats /really/ expensive stuff.