[CentOS] OT hardware issue: HP controller to 3rd party RAID

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Oct 7 19:05:20 UTC 2015

On 10/7/2015 11:47 AM, Jack Bailey wrote:

>>> I have the P822.  It has no JBOD or RAID 0.  hpacucli works with CentOS
>>> 7.0, but is broken on 7.1 -- it cannot find the controller.
>> Can it do RAID 6?
>>

> This page says it does.
> http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetHTML.aspx?docname=c04111199
>
> The page also says it does RAID 0, but I did not see that in the 5.42
> BIOS.

on many of those P4/P8 series raid cards, raid6 support is an extra cost
option, but once its enabled for a given card, it continues to work on
that card even if its moved.    The P420's I have support raid0 (stripe)...

I googled JetStor, and saw a whole lineup of NAS/SAN boxes that support
NFS, ISCSI, etc.     these wouldn't work with a raid card like a P800,
but a SAS expansion tray from a JetStor should work if direct connected
to the SmartArray card... a JetStor that has its own embedded raid
controller with SAS host connectivity won't work with a hardware raid
card like a P800, you would instead want a simple HBA card, such as a HP
H221 Host Bus Adapter