[CentOS] problem on exceptional quit

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:10:14 UTC 2015

On 10/10/2015 11:25 PM, Hua Wang wrote:
> I am not sure if we can not send attachments to the mailing list. There were quite a lot replies before, but I got nothing back since attachements was added. I will remove the attachments and send it again.

You can use services like pastebin.com to temporarily post your logs.  I
wouldn't recommend posting the whole "secure" log.  The output of dmesg
might be helpful, but you can probably just read it and determine
whether or not there's anything related to your NIC or to networking.

arping and ifconfig don't show any conflicts or errors.  It's still
possible that there's a conflict with a device that's not online all of
the time, but that'll be hard to track down.

At this point, I think we've exhausted a lot of the simple stuff. The
next thing I'd do would be to run tcpdump on your client and watch all
of the traffic to and from the server, and any ICMP. When the connection
is interrupted, the last few packets should show the cause.  I'd expect
you to see either a TCP reset or one of a few ICMP messages.  So, open a
terminal, start a tcpdump, and let it run until your ssh connection (in
another terminal, obviously) is reset.  Use Ctrl+C to stop tcpdump.

# tcpdump -nn host 222.200.125.5 or icmp