[CentOS] Annoying license at install

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 12 21:48:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, October 9, 2015 10:17 am, david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I have several remotely-located servers, donated by folks not all of
> whom are computer geeks, let-alone Linux aware.  In earlier versions
> of Centos, I directed them to perform a minimal NetInstall (not too
> difficult to direct over the phone), and then issue two commands
> after the first boot.  One was a 'curl' to download a script of mine,
> and the second was a dot-command to run it.  A few reboots followed
> in close succession, and I directed them to logon as root, and issue
> a simple dot-command.  The personal intervention ended usually within
> an hour, since I had ssh access to the system and root, and could
> complete the installation and tailoring completely remotely.  I would
> only need their intervention in the case of problems.  In many cases,
> I've not needed to invoke that help for a year or more.

I probably have missed the whole discussion, sorry if it is repetition or
irrelevant.

I usually do kickstart install pointing to my kickstart file that has
everything necessary in it, including (as post install scripts) adding
variety of things that are not directly available in CentOS distribution
(such as custom TeX stiles for Journals our folks publish in, printers
configuration...). All works well, including for CentOS 7; first boot
after kickstart install gets you into ready to use box (lass particular
user accounts). To avoid "firstboot" stuff, - and license I believe is
part of it - I have the following in my kickstart file:

# Run the Setup Agent on first boot
#firstboot --enable
firstboot --disable

> This scheme worked well until I decided to add support of graphical
> desktops on the systems in Centos 7, as I had in Centos 6.  Once
> those packages were installed, further non-intuitive on-site
> intervention was required at next reboot to approve licenses.  Remote
> ssh logins didn't work until that was done.

If you mean X11 stuff, this is what I always did (and keep doing in CentOS
7). Or are these licenses other than GNU license (to use system composed
almost solely of GNU licensed parts)?

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator