[CentOS] tcp wrappers Question..

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Oct 14 18:55:47 UTC 2015

On 10/14/2015 11:39 AM, Jason Welsh wrote:
> hey folks, I keep seeing this on the internet
>
> "The user name lookup feature of TCP Wrappers uses identd to identify
> the username of the remote host. By default, this feature is disabled,
> as identd may appear hung when there are a large number of TCP
> connections."
>
> but I cant seem to find out how/where to enable said feature.

authd or identd has to be enabled on the CLIENTS, and its a completely
untrustworthy system.   the user information is sent in cleartext with
no validation, and if the remote client is under someone elses control
they can install a authd/identd that replies with anything they wish.

in centos6, at least, to install and enable authd, do...

     # yum install authd
     # chkconfig auth on