[CentOS] Debugging Kernel Problems

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Oct 16 18:36:08 UTC 2015

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 7:33 AM, Tod <listacctc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not sure if this is the correct subject line but my recently installed
>> Centos build (Linux localhost.localdomain 3.10.0-229.14.1.el7.x86_64 #1
>> SMP
>> Tue Sep 15 15:05:51 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
>> periodically just freezes - completely locks up, no activity,
>> nothing in the logs, just stops dead requiring a power off and reboot.
>
> "nothing in the logs"? Have you run memtest for an extended period of
> time? You might first want to eliminate the possibility that this is a
> hardware problem.

Actually, we've had that occasionally, on a number of boxes. I *think*
they were all SuperMicros (sold by Penguin), and they become unresponsive
- when I plug in the monitor-on-a-stick, there's no response at all on the
console, keys do nothing. we have to power cycle them, and nothing ever
shows, not in dmesg.old, not messages, nowhere. Never figured it out.

        mark