[CentOS] Security implications of openssl098e on CentOS 7

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 18:55:03 UTC 2015

Personally I would go round to that particular vendors office with a pipe
wrench and encourage them to do better however, unless this software is
transmitting credit card information then it seems that you could be
safe(ish) from the regulation standpoint. It really depends on the location
of the machine. Is it deep in the bowels of your high security nuclear
bunker on an air gap network or is is merrily accepting incoming traffic
from China? Is the software is using an appropriate SELinux policy or is it
running unconfined or with SELinux turned off?

It seems the PCI-DSS describe a set of simple rules to get IT managers
thinking but they are somewhat open to interpretation. Are you abiding to
the spirit of the regulations?