[CentOS] PHP version not enough for developers

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Oct 22 15:52:50 UTC 2015

Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> On Thu, October 22, 2015 10:40 am, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> On 10/22/2015 10:31 AM, Andrew Holway wrote:
>>>
>>> So, it seems that the current version of PHP in Centos 7 is PHP 5.4.16
>>> however this version of PHP stopped getting security support from the
>>> PHP people one month ago [1].
>>>
>>> Now, our developers want to use the new and shiny PHP because they want
>>> to use the latest version of Zend. They are proposing using this
>>> package [2] but I never heard of this repo.
>
> For me it sound like an example of the difference between "bleeding edge"
> and "enterprise" systems. The first is what developers most often like,
> the second is what humble sysadmins prefer as they have to keep something
> developed long ago running for as long as possible - and without crashed,
> daemons dying etc (== "bleeding" which always accompanies "bleeding edge"
> anything). Sorry for venting my own usual pain here...

Add another of that opinion. All the years that I did development, I never
needed bleeding edge, and I've done a lot. On the other hand, if the spec
said the current version would support something, it *better*, because,
sooner or later, I'd find a need to use whatever.

Bleeding edge never supports that NEWSHINY without breaking.... Like the
team lead, now years gone, who built a project here in ruby on rails...
and was constantly *terrified* when I wanted/needed to update the servers
that was on, and stayed on "enterprise version whatever", without current
updates.... Things like that are what I refer to as fragile....

     mark