[CentOS] PHP version not enough for developers

Juan Bernhard juan at inti.gob.ar
Thu Oct 22 16:20:02 UTC 2015

El 22/10/2015 a las 12:48 p.m., Valeri Galtsev escribió:

> On Thu, October 22, 2015 10:40 am, Jim Perrin wrote:
>>

>> On 10/22/2015 10:31 AM, Andrew Holway wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> So, it seems that the current version of PHP in Centos 7 is PHP 5.4.16
>>> however this version of PHP stopped getting security support from the
>>> PHP
>>> people one month ago [1].
>>>
>>> Now, our developers want to use the new and shiny PHP because they want
>>> use the latest version of Zend. They are proposing using this package
>>> [2]
>>> but I never heard of this repo.
>
> For me it sound like an example of the difference between "bleeding edge"
> and "enterprise" systems. The first is what developers most often like,
> the second is what humble sysadmins prefer as they have to keep something
> developed long ago running for as long as possible - and without crashed,
> daemons dying etc (== "bleeding" which always accompanies "bleeding edge"
> anything). Sorry for venting my own usual pain here...
>
> Valeri

PHP 5.4 is in EOL, it get no more security updates from PHP
developers... its may be a security risk to use this in in long term.
centos should change the php version more ofthen. I dont uderstand
centos 6, its still using php 5.3, who got EOL a year ago... I had to
switch to another repo to get this (to not get the headache by compile
by hand).
If you want to change to a log term support, you should use php 5.6,
this is under active development now.
centos packagers mantainers should listen the PHP developers in this
topic, they are the ones who really knows PHP
http://php.net/supported-versions.php