[CentOS] PHP version not enough for developers

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Oct 22 16:29:50 UTC 2015

I've been using IUS in the past. They have a good way of naming their
rpms, so they don't interfere with the RH rpms. But they don't support
older CentOS versions still on extended support as long as I needed them.
And they don't provide as much php-related rpms (f.i. pecl-stuff) as remi
does.
So, with newer PHP versions I had to go to remi's repo. Combined with EPEL
(and rpmforge being dead, anyway) it's working quite fine here for PHP 5.5
and 5.6. He provides files for CentOS 5, 6 and 7. The only caveat is that
he uses the same rpm names as with the original ones. So, you have to give
this repo the same priority as the base repo has. In consequence you have
to be careful what it wants to install as dependencies and exclude a
package sometimes. But all in all it works very well.

I've used the webtatic repo once for a special case. I don't know exactly
why but I wouldn't recommend it.

If IUS provides the version you need I'd go with that.

Kai