[CentOS] PHP version not enough for developers

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 23 14:36:32 UTC 2015

On Fri, October 23, 2015 8:46 am, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> James B. Byrne wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, October 22, 2015 17:25, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>> . . . Still, disregarding the part some of us dislike personally
>>> (plus often reboots necessary to install some vital updates
>>> - which all Linuxes are prone to beginning somewhere around
>>> 2.6 kernel) . . .
>>
>> I am glad to discover that I am not losing my mind.  I too have been
>> rather dismayed at the perceived increase in frequency with which I
>> must reboot my servers.  I wondered whether this was simply a
>> misconception on my part or an actual change in the environment.
>>
>> Apparently it is the later.
>
> So systemd moves Linux to more resemble Windows?

I regret James cut out positive part I said - about great job both RH and
CentOS teams are doing!

But coming back to negative part (which is about almost any Linux
distribution). These often reboots started in my recollection around 2.6
kernel which is long ago. Already then one of my friends started calling
Linux "Lindoze" apparently stressing you need to reboot it often, like MS
Windows. I would suggest to take his label with a grain of salt, as he is
the one who also used funny name for another well known system, after
Oracle bough out Sun Microsystems he called Sun-Oracle "snorkel" (as if
you pronounce it awfully fast).

This was what made first step to "similarity" at least in one respect of
Linux to MS Windows. Is systemd yet another step? No comment from me, as
at some point I decided to not be on any side of apparently awfully
polarized on this issue community. ;-)

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator