[CentOS] PHP version not enough for developers

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 26 16:53:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, October 26, 2015 11:11 am, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 10/24/2015 01:59 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
specifically) don't want to use systemd, then please don't use
CentOS-7.
>>> For example, you could help out with Devuan, which aims to remove
systemd from Debian, or you can switch to Slackware, one of the few
major distros not to even include systemd (so far).
>> Or switch away from Linux, say, to (Free|Opnen|Net|PC-|...)BSD just to
expand options. But to take advantage of the greatness of RHEL and
CentOS
>> life cycle you have to live with systemd and friends no matter what you
thinks about them (you see, I already have convinced myself ;-). And
yes, thanks for everybody's effort to keep discussion off the insanely
>> polarizing us topic(s).
>
> I am quite happy even for there to be a SIG to modify CentOS-7 to not
require systemd and creating a variant of that branch.  Those
> discussions (if enough volunteers were found to staff the SIG) would
take place on the CentOS-Devel mailing list.

I would be very interested in that. Not as a developer which I am not, but
as an end user (or almost end user as I am sysadmin ;-) If that happens,
will there be announcement on centos at centos.org list or I should subscribe
to CentOS-Devel mailing list?

Valeri

> But what is of no use to anyone is another 500 mail flame thread about
systemd being the devil.

>>> Johnny, thank you for your efforts in trying to keep the mailing list
on-topic.  :)

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago