[CentOS] USB drive is "read-only file system" and cannot umount - how to fix

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Oct 27 00:56:03 UTC 2015

Just disconnected, power-cycled then reconnected the drive.
/var/log/messages tell me:

Oct 26 20:50:10 homebase kernel: EXT4-fs warning (device sdd1):
ext4_clear_journal_err: Filesystem error recorded from previous mount:
IO failure
Oct 26 20:50:10 homebase kernel: EXT4-fs warning (device sdd1):
ext4_clear_journal_err: Marking fs in need of filesystem check.
Oct 26 20:50:10 homebase kernel: EXT4-fs (sdd1): warning: mounting fs
with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
Oct 26 20:50:10 homebase kernel: EXT4-fs (sdd1): recovery complete
Oct 26 20:50:10 homebase kernel: EXT4-fs (sdd1): mounted filesystem with
ordered data mode. Opts:

First it comes in as sdd when previously it was sdc.  But the drive is
now R/W.

So do I run e2fsck, and with what options.  From the manpage I am
assuming I better umount it first...