[CentOS] Disaster recovery recommendations

Mark LaPierre marklapier at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 02:31:33 UTC 2015

On 10/30/15 17:30, Max Pyziur wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have three drives; they are all SATA Seagate Barracudas; two are
> 500GB; the third is a 2TB.
>
> I don't have a clear reason why they have failed (possibly due to a
> deep, off-brand, flakey mobo; but it's still inconclusive, but I would
> like to find a disaster recovery service that can hopefully recover the
> data.
>
> Much thanks for any and all suggestions,
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz at brama.com

If you can get them mounted on a different machine, other than the one
with the problem mother board, then I suggest giving SpinRite a try.

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

It's inexpensive which makes it a low risk and not much of a loss if it
doesn't work.

Also consider this a lesson learned.  The cost of a second low capacity
machine, including the electric bill to run it, is insignificant
compared to paying for data recovery.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7841915&Sku=J001-10169

If you insist on keeping personal control of your data, like I do, then
that is the best way to go about it.  Use the second machine as your
backup.  Set it up as a NAS device and use rsync to keep your data
backed up.  If you're paranoid you could even locate the old clunker off
site at a family/friend's home and connect to it using ssh over the
internet.

Your other option is to use a cloud storage service of some kind.  Be
sure to encrypt anything you store on the cloud on your machine first,
before you send it to the cloud, so that your data will be secure even
if someone hacks your cloud service.  There's another drawback to using
a cloud as your backup.  The risk is small, but you do have to realize
that the cloud could blow away along with your data.  It's happened before.

--
    _
   °v°