[CentOS] recommended methods/software for videocasting

Thu Oct 8 10:09:39 UTC 2015
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

An acquaintance is considering videocasting speakers at a conference and
using a Twitter product called Periscope.  I'd like to recommend an open
source solution.  While I've never offered videos over the web, I have
made audios available, and all it entailed was placing the file on the
website and putting its url on a visible webpage.  I wouldn't think any
more than that is required for video.  True?

"Live" videocasting is likely a different animal.  How is this accomplished?

Also, which video formats are recommended-- FOSS of course preferred,
but a FOSS format for which there are readily available client apps on
the major platforms (MS, Android, OSX, Linux).

Thanks for your expertise.