[CentOS] OT hardware issue: HP controller to 3rd party RAID

Wed Oct 7 18:13:28 UTC 2015

Jack Bailey wrote:
> On 10/07/15 10:06, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 10/7/2015 8:42 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Got an old HP box with a P800 Smart Array controller. The HP RAID box
>>> plugged into it's failing, and we got a new JetStor. Anyone know if we
>>> can just plug the JetStor in and set it to passthrough, or if we have
>>> to use the P800's firmware to set up the RAID, or other gotchas?
>>>
>>> I*think*  we could use the RAID boxes firmware to build the RAID, but
>>> last resort would be passthrough, and Linux RAID.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with JetStor, but a P800 is a older high end SAS raid

JetStor, from AC&NC, is a *real* nice solid line of RAID appliances... and
esp. when you get to the bigger ones, runs half or a third the price that
NetApp, HP, or Dell RAID boxes run, literally. Really reliable hardware -
we've got some that have been running for well over six years with no
troubles (other than an occasional dead drive). (No, I'm not getting any
kickbacks from them - I really like their hardware.)

>> controller that expects to talk to individual SAS or SATA drives. you
>> can manage it with hpssacli from centos.
>
> I have the P822.  It has no JBOD or RAID 0.  hpacucli works with CentOS
> 7.0, but is broken on 7.1 -- it cannot find the controller.

Can it do RAID 6?

        mark