[CentOS] Software RAID1 Drives

Wed Oct 7 22:30:51 UTC 2015

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 10/7/2015 3:14 PM, Matt wrote:
>> I have 3 4TB WD drives I want to put in a RAID1 array.
>>
>> Two WD4000FYYZ
>>
>> and
>>
>> One WD4000F9YZ
>>
>> All enterprise class but two are WD Re and one is WD Se.  I ordered
>> the first two thinking 2 drives in the raid array would be sufficient
>> but later decided its a long drive to the server so I would rather
>> have 3 drives and ordered a third in accidentally did not get EXACT
>> same thing.  Would there be ANY issues mixing these?
>
> using Linux MDRAID ?  they'll probably  be fine.   they are all 7200rpm
> drives so should have quite similar performance.  main difference is the
> MTBE spec

It's "enterprise" grade, where the two reds are "NAS-ready". In either
case, the TLER should be 7 sec, so it should work. The ones to watch out
for are the desktop grade, like the green (bleah!!!), which have a TLER of
something like 2 MINUTES. That will *not* work in a server....

        mark "why, yes, we did try them"