[CentOS] redistribution of isolinux binaries

Tue Oct 13 16:42:08 UTC 2015
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 10/13/2015 11:05 AM, Brian Reichert wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 12:03:00PM -0400, Jonathan Billings wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 11:38:06AM -0400, Brian Reichert wrote:
>>> Does anyone have any insight on these topics, or, at the very least,
>>> a better forum to pursue them?
>>
>> The patches used to build the latest syslinux package for CentOS7 are
>> here:
>>
>> https://git.centos.org/commit/rpms!syslinux/1e69ac78ccd5571027da253a99da5968028b1d5c
>
> Cool; thanks!
>
> I see this file:
>
>   https://git.centos.org/blob/rpms!syslinux/b4d04961d9543ac12b0a41ec6f1a396ebe311cd6/README.md
>
> in turn refers to, for example, the c6 branch for CentOS 6 (my
> current universe)
>
> Looking at this tree:
>
>   https://git.centos.org/log/rpms!syslinux/b4d04961d9543ac12b0a41ec6f1a396ebe311cd6
>
> I see nothing for syslinux: does that mean there are no changes at
> all for CentOS 6?

The info you are looking at there is for CentOS-7 .. the syslinux for
CentOS-6 is here:

http://vault.centos.org/6.7/os/Source/SPackages/syslinux-4.04-3.el6.src.rpm

The CentOS team did not modify that source code, we just built it as is.

That source code produces the syslinux binary used by CentOS-6 (from the
syslinux-4.04-3.el6.x86_64.rpm (ir i386) RPM).

As to how that happens, we simply use the rpmbuild command to produce
the syslinux RPMs, which when installed provide the binary file in question.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes