[CentOS] CentOS 6 update issues

Mon Oct 19 03:37:48 UTC 2015
Clint Dilks <clintd at waikato.ac.nz>

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 4:21 PM, John Cenile <jcenile1983 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I manage a few servers overseas that are running CentOS 6.
>
> When performing a yum update, it fails because it's trying to download
> from:
>
> mirror.centos.org/centos/*6.6*/extras/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
>

> Which fails due to the fact that the entire 6.6 directory is empty on all
> of the mirrors I have checked. From what I can tell it should be using:
>
> mirror.centos.org/centos/*6*/extras/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
>

> Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? Obviously changing
> the CentOS-Base file to use 'baseurl' rather than 'mirrorlist' is a
> workaround, but I would prefer a more permanent solution, and would like to
> know why this is happening.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi, in most cases you would expect mirrorlist to be defined rather than
baseurl  unless you want to be pointing to a specific repository.
I would suggest that you do a fresh install somewhere update it and then
compare the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ with your existing systems.

As examples of base and updates from one of my own systems I have

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os&infra=$infra
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-6

#released updates
[updates]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
mirrorlist=