[CentOS] Can I force yum to only use http.

Mon Oct 19 21:28:16 UTC 2015
Roger Wells <roger.k.wells at leidos.com>

On 10/19/2015 05:12 PM, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
> Our outsourced IT department has decided to use white listing on the firewalls for outbound ftp.  I was given a list of sites our lab had accessed via ftp and eventually tracked them down to Linux machines running yum.  They are all CentOS 5 or 6 with a smattering of 7.  It is impractical to list all the possibilities since they change on a regular basis.  Also any 3rd party repos we need are another ball of wax.
>

> Various Google searches and the manual page have not shown me how to avoid using ftp mirrors.  I have considered taking out the ftp-proxy information so that the ftp cannot get out, but I suspect it will just hang waiting for a response.
>

> Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to tell yum not to use ftp as the download mechanism?
>

> Thank you in advance.
>

> Bob

FWIW, my Centos 7 install doesn't have ftp installed and yum has no
apparent issues.

I also, mainly, use Fedora (22 currently) and it hasn't had ftp
installed for a long time.  Of course it uses dnf now, not yum.

HTH