[CentOS] PHP version not enough for developers

Thu Oct 22 15:40:27 UTC 2015
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 10/22/2015 10:31 AM, Andrew Holway wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, it seems that the current version of PHP in Centos 7 is PHP 5.4.16
> however this version of PHP stopped getting security support from the PHP
> people one month ago [1].
>
> Now, our developers want to use the new and shiny PHP because they want to
> use the latest version of Zend. They are proposing using this package [2]
> but I never heard of this repo.
>
> Other than building the packages ourselves is there a more acceptable way
> to run a later version of PHP?
>
> Thoughts? Experiences? Ramblings?

I'm personally not a fan of the webtatic repository. This is mostly due
to the number of users on irc who seem to have problems with it. I would
recommend either the upcoming software collections packages or the IUS
repository packages. https://iuscommunity.org/pages/About.html

IUS has been a very good/reliable way to get more recent versions of
things, and the folks responsible for it are active both on irc and in
the mailing lists.

--
Jim Perrin