[CentOS] PHP version not enough for developers

Thu Oct 22 21:25:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, October 22, 2015 3:45 pm, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 10/22/2015 03:40 PM, Juan Bernhard wrote:

>>> And incidentally these 0.01% (even if the number is true) of Enterprise
>>> users pay virtually 100% of RH income (the last is what the brilliant
>>> job
>>> of individuals at RH is paid for from). Let's not forget they as well
>>> as
>>> us have families to support.
>>>
>>> Valeri
>>
>> Im not saying that they must remove this package, but they also should
>> include the newer version. I use freebsd (and its not a toy distro like
>> fedora), and you have several ports, php, php54, php55 and php56 to
>> choose whatever you need.
>> Please, dont think that I dont appreciate the RH job on this, some one
>> should support a long term version, some applications needs this, but
>> very few.
>> Thats all. I needed to say this, this is the only thing that bother me
>> of centos, and its a little thing. The solution is to add another repo,
>> but is a petty that they dont include the newer version on the default
>> one. Centos its a great distro, dont take this a complain... its just a
>> suggestion.
>>
>> Saludos, Juan
>
> Like I said before .. software collections:
>
> http://bit.ly/1GXl0L0

I would add to software collections you mention and different Linux
distributions (differing in update/upgrade lifecycle scheme) also other
*nix-es, FreeBSD was one someone mentioned already (I too "half-moved"
servers to it), but there are many other choices of systems. Still,
disregarding the part some of us dislike personally (plus often reboots
necessary to install some vital updates - which all Linuxes are prone to
beginning somewhere around 2.6 kernel) I would say I really admire the
great job RH folks are doing - and definitely tremendous job CentOS
maintainers do!

Just my 0.02

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev