[CentOS] Re: PHP version not enough for developers

Fri Oct 23 21:45:00 UTC 2015
Yamaban <foerster at lisas.de>

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:44, m.roth at 5-cent.us <m.roth at ...> wrote:

> Jonathan Billings wrote:

>>> So systemd moves Linux to more resemble Windows?
>>
>> No.  If anything, systemd handles upgrades better than SysV init, since it
>> handles re-execing better.  Please stop spreading FUD.
> <snip>
> What FUD? It adds *binary* logfiles, readable only with a separate
> program; when I restart a service, it does not *tell* me what's going on,
> just worked or didn't, so I don't know, if it fails, where, the messages
> from journalctl are extremely unhelpful, and when it boots, if I want to
> watch, it tends to hide much info. It's much less informative in most ways
> in helping me solve problems.

Well, looking back, during kernel 2.6 there was no systemd at all.
But! That was the time where udev and dbus came into the boot cycle.

IMHO, the intrinsics between glibc (always a cause for refresh of
initrd and full reboot) and udev where the start of the "reboot often".

Later on came dbus from the pure app-message-bus to the monster (kdbus?)
that it is now, adding in its own dreg of dependencies and making the
boot cycle unclean in itself.

The mess we have now, is not the work of just one change.

What was the rationale to get udev into boot? -- Handling the ever
changing mess of plugable, switchable hardware. Not born and bred
for servers, but for mobiles (phones, tablets, laptops).

Who was the one that decided that "one-size-fits-all" and put that
into server environment?

What was the rationale to let dbus near the system start at all?
  -- Again mobile development.

Same as before who was the one that thought, "nice, lets fuck up the
servers even more with that".

Systemd was just the latest development, and not the worst. Yes, it
could have gone better, and some of the devs have had more
head-in-the-clouds than feet-on-the-ground.

Looking back, systemd is the only "big" change since 2.6 that makes
sense for servers. It's surrounding scene, however, does not make
much sense for servers. Journald is a mess, but solveable --
install a "real" syslogd and get on with life.

The mess that is networking, well, that could have / should have
gone better. Lets not cast out the babe with the wash-water, through.

That the difference between Linux servers and MS-Windows server got
smaller is a matter of both sides.

The difference between a MS-Win 2k server and a MS-Win 2016 server
is much more than just 16 years.

MS-Win 2016 kann be headless. A break-trough, 2012 was partly there.

What was the jump forward for linux servers in this 16 years?

We have lost some of the original Unix way: every tool should do one
thing, and should do it right, be as small and as fast as possible.

MicroSoft seems to have learned from its errors.

Linux, well, atm we make them, and en mass.

  - Yamaban.

PS: PHP devs should keep an eye on PHP 7.
That will be ugly for every one that ignores the warning signs.
Operators and Declarations esp.