[CentOS] USB drive is "read-only file system" and cannot umount - how to fix

Sun Oct 25 15:16:39 UTC 2015

On 10/25/2015 11:12 AM, Barry Brimer wrote:
> I 'just' noticed that at some point, my USB backup drive on my server
>> is
>> mounted as read-only and all of my background sync cron jobs have been
>> failing.
>>
>> So I need to fix this without rebooting the server.
>> How can I get this drive r/w?
> Have you tried "mount -o remount,rw <mountpoint>"?

# mount -o remount,rw /media/HD103SI/
mount: cannot remount block device /dev/sdc1 read-write, is write-protected

> The unanswered question here is why did it go read only, and does this condition still exist?

The burning question of the day......

Should I 'just' unplug it, power cycle it and reconnect it?