[CentOS] semi-OT: HW

Mon Oct 26 17:12:43 UTC 2015
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 10/26/2015 8:23 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Running CentOS 6.7, on an older HP DL580 G5. We've got a Dell 12-bay RAID
> box plugged into a PERC H800 (aka LSI Liberator) that we put in the HP,
> and that works fine. We've got a new RAID (a JetStor), and are trying to
> plug it in.
>
> The layout is that the Dell RAID is dual-pathed DAS. Each PERC has two DAS
> ports. We've got the Dell RAID in the top port of each PERC. I*thought*  I
> could just plug the new RAID, which also has two ports, into the bottom
> two ports on the PERC.
>
> TRied rescanning the SCSI bus, /sys/class/scsi_host/host[0-5]/scan, with
> no apparent sight of the new RAID. Can I do this the way I've got it, or
> do I need to daisy-chain the new RAID through the old RAID?

The H800 is a MegaRaid based controller, with dell proprietary firmware.

the Dell '12 bay RAID box', does that actually have its own embedded
raid controller, or is it just a 12 drive SAS jbod box?   I'd expect the
latter, as you don't plug a raid into a raid card.

the jetstor, same question, does that have its own raid or is it also JBOD ?