[CentOS] ssh freezes

Mon Oct 26 19:44:44 UTC 2015
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 10/26/2015 10:28 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>
>> All too often, my ssh session will freeze.
>> I'm fairly certain the problem is at my end.
>> None of the tilde commands work.
>> In particular, ~# and ~. are nonfunctional.
>> I can write to ssh's terminal window from another terminal window.
>> If I kill the ssh process, I can ssh in again.
>> The next time it happens,
>> I will try another ssh session without killing the first one.
>> dmesg did not show me anything interesting.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to diagnose?
>
> what OS/version are you ssh'ing from?    what version of ssh is installed on
> this? [1]

openssh-clients-5.3p1-111.el6.x86_64

> what OS/version are you ssh'ing to?   what version of sshd is installed on
> this? [2]

rpm not installed
uname -a
Linux mail 2.6.24-28-generic #1 SMP Fri Feb 11 17:36:45 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
mail.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu is not controlled by me.

> what network media is between these two hosts?  anything out of the ordinary
> in the setup?

Ethernet connection to CenturyLink router/DSL-modem.
I hadn't thought to check for anything interesting on the router.
I'll do that the next time it happens.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards