[CentOS] OT Strange IP address on home network

Wed Oct 28 21:59:45 UTC 2015
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Mark Haney wrote:

>> On 10/28/2015 9:04 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> Why does "arp -a" show IP address 169.254.192.123
>>> on my 192.168.2.0 home network?

> Sounds like you have a host with a NIC that's configured for DHCP but
> either can't communicate with the DHCP server, or there are no free IPs
> for the DHCP server to give it.
>> On 10/28/2015 9:04 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Thanks for your response.
I should have said I'm running CentOS-7.1 on my home server.
Also the actual "arp -a" entry on the server is
  (169.254.192.123) at 30:10:b3:2e:cb:ff

I see that 30:10:b3 is assigned to Lite-On (or Liteon)
which is a Taiwan company, who sell network cards among other things.
And I find when I google to "liteon wifi network"
that there are many queries (and complaints) about mysterious links
involving liteon devices.

So I guess the strange IP address probably comes from some Lite-On device
somewhere in my house - maybe on the server itself, an HP MicroServer.
There are so many possible electronic culprits today.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net