[CentOS] groupadd failure

isdtor isdtor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:33:44 UTC 2015

On 02/09/2015, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't read what you said carefully enough -- it's trying to
> create a system group. Still, looking inside of /etc/group to see what
> system groups already exist is probably a good idea.

This is not exactly trivial to figure when there's no documentation
what the system group limits actually are. There's a very indirect
mention in the same man page, "Values between 0 and 999 are typically
reserved for system accounts.", but I bet that's just the usual case
of generic documentation not tailored to the distribution.

The highest id in the group file is 499. Combined with the error, this
could be consistent with a SYS_GID_MAX of 499. But no ids between 189
and 485 have been assigned at all. Is groupadd really this limited?