[CentOS] groupadd failure

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Thu Sep 3 11:37:19 UTC 2015

On 09/03/2015 01:07 PM, Leon Fauster wrote:
> Am 03.09.2015 um 10:33 schrieb isdtor <isdtor at gmail.com>:
>> On 02/09/2015, Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com> wrote:
>>> Sorry, I didn't read what you said carefully enough -- it's trying to
>>> create a system group. Still, looking inside of /etc/group to see what
>>> system groups already exist is probably a good idea.
>>
>> This is not exactly trivial to figure when there's no documentation
>> what the system group limits actually are. There's a very indirect
>> mention in the same man page, "Values between 0 and 999 are typically
>> reserved for system accounts.", but I bet that's just the usual case
>> of generic documentation not tailored to the distribution.
>>
>> The highest id in the group file is 499. Combined with the error, this
>> could be consistent with a SYS_GID_MAX of 499. But no ids between 189
>> and 485 have been assigned at all. Is groupadd really this limited?

look at -g in the manpage: "the default is to use [...] and greater than
every other group."
So I guess if SYS_GID_MAX==499 and you already have a group 499, you may
need to use -g. Create the group with -g, then try to install your rpm
(I think that's what you were doing?) and hopefully it will see that a
group with the correct name already exists and proceed normally.