[CentOS] Starting emacs gives "shmget failed: error 28" message

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Sep 3 18:24:17 UTC 2015

On 09/03/2015 04:00 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 03:04 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>> In CentOS 6.7, if I start emacs from a terminal session, I always see
>> a message, "(emacs:{PID}): Gdk-WARNING **: shmget failed: error 28 (No
>> space left on device)"
>>
>> The message is also logged to .xsession-errors, and that occurs
>> regardless of how emacs is started. The same thing occurs with
>> SELinux in permissive mode.
>>
>> Emacs version is emacs-23.1-28.el6.x86_64 .
>>
>> Output from strace shows:
>>     shmget(IPC_PRIVATE, 393216, IPC_CREAT|0600) = -1 ENOSPC (No space
>> left on device)
>>
>> /proc/mounts contains:
>>     tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
>>
>> and "df /dev/shm" shows:
>>     Filesystem     1K-blocks  Used Available Use% Mounted on
>>     tmpfs            8194164   172   8193992   1% /dev/shm
>>
>> I can't identify any behavior problems that I can relate to this,
>> but it seems that something is wrong.  Any clues as to what?
>>

> just a shot in the dark, but what do you have in
> /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni ?
>
> According to man shmget:
> ENOSPC All possible shared memory IDs have been taken  (SHMMNI),  or
> allocating  a  segment  of  the requested  size  would  cause  the
> system  to  exceed  the system-wide limit on shared memory (SHMALL).

"cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni" shows 4096.

And, I find that "wc -l /proc/sysvipc/shm" shows that they are indeed
all in use. A badly coded java game appears to be the culprit. It's
grabbing SHM IDs by the thousands.

Thanks for the pointer.  Your shot in the dark was right on target.

                 Do NOT delete it.