[CentOS] BackupPC problem - wrong user

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Sep 9 13:08:29 UTC 2015

anax wrote:

> On 2015-09-08 12:18, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I recently moved BackupPC from CentOS-6 to CentOS-7.
>> But when I browse to localhost/BackupPC I'm told
>>    Error: Wrong user: my userid is 48[apache], instead of 984(backuppc)
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the BackupPC settings are exactly the same
>> as they were before the move.
>>
>> It seems htttpd is running the program as user apache
>> rather than backuppc, as required.
>> Is there a simple setting in /etc/httpd/ that will tell httpd
>> to run as a different user?

> Hi Tim
> if you try with suexec?

Thanks for the suggestion.
I had actually seen suexec mentioned,
but on looking for a simple example of suexec in action
I could only find ones referring to CGI scripts.

I found the official document <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/suexec.html>
extraordinarily complicated, and it was not clear if this program
can actually be applied to BackupPC, since it refers throughout to CGI.

I guess I'll start by changing
  User apache
  Group apache
in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
and then later see if I can make sense of suexec .

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net